Thursday, January 26, 2017

Pencil Animating Software

Hello and welcome to another post of LLG, today we are heading back once again to the artsy side of this blog as we'll be talking about the 2-D animating software called pencil. Pencil is a open source free to use animating software that is usable for any computer and what I am currently trying to learn to use myself as its simplistic design and cheap price at nothing is very appealing to a new comer in such a medium.

https://www.pencil2d.org/ This link listed besides the image is the website where you can download the software if you are a person who is intrestead in 2-D animation. So, what makes Pencil different from the other potential animating software that I've brought up before, Blender? Well, Pencil is a 2-D animation software which means that the user draws each frame in the animation rather than building a whole 3 dimensional object and guiding its movements. Pencil in my about 2 hour experience ( as I've used it for a short time ) is expectantly slightly buggy. You may be asking why it is expected to which I would remind you that it is completely free of any cost and also tell you that it is not fully developed but is being worked on.
The software still has it together enough to where it is workable as long as you save periodically and have a slight background in things like adobe flash. The software's timeline ( shown at the bottom of each image) can contain raster images, vector, sound and even the camera for the shots you are making. Next for your tools you have your pencil which is very useful as it allows you to sketch out things or write down notes on frames and it won't be seen in the final product. Next is the paintbrush which is what I think you should use for the actual work but like I said I've had the software for awhile but only have had little time actually using it and I have not been able to get it to work. Lastly for drawing is the pen tool which should not be confused with the pen tool used in things like photoshop and illustrator as it doesn't work the same but rather like the pencil tool from illustrator for those graphic designers out there who know what i'm talking about. Honestly, with a bit of more development this software can become quite similar to flash in animating and I think you guys should try it out so you can give your feedback to the developers so they can improve it further. To end this post I want to know from you guys what is your favorite style of animating between 3-D and 2-D? I know that those are pretty vague groups as they both have their own sub styles within them and I haven't forgot about stop motion it is just I have not wrote a post about it yet so I see it as irrelevant for a QOTD at the moment but it will come up and with the glory it rightfully deserves.
Till next post I'll see ya'll later.

     

No comments:

Post a Comment